Monday, April 19, 2010

Fructose = Ethanol

I found this YouTube video a few days ago and was shocked when I watched it. Not that I didn't realize that high fructose corn syrup is bad for your health (there was the time that I gained 15 pounds in 8 weeks while sucking down soda and energy drinks on my first contract programming gig), but I never knew just how bad that stuff is for you.
 
In the video, Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

 
I know that it is long, but if you have ever struggled with weight, or have been affected by diabetes, I think that the 90 minutes of your life is worth the knowledge gained. 


No comments:

Post a Comment