Monday, March 8, 2010

Casualties of War

We were telling some friends about our ant troubles yesterday, and I decided it is time to give you all an update.  Several people have asked me how this is going, so I will start with the casualties experienced on both sides.
  • Jack's food fell hostage to a swarm of ants until Trip and I got an airtight container.  When we put the food and ants in there, they all swarmed the lid trying to get out, so we washed them down the sink and were able to save the food
  • My retainer was a target for a short time.  I took care of that by soaking it in Polident (apparently the ants don't like the smell)
  • Trip's toothbrush was perhaps the grossest casualty.  We came home one night and it was covered in the obnoxious insects
  • Chocolates (always a sad day when you have to throw away chocolate)
  • We ended up having to toss out a package of biscuits and some crackers after the ants got desperate and started chewing through zip-loc bags.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it
  • We also tend to find ants floating in the water in our water heater.  Not sure why they think that is a good idea...
  • Perhaps the most interesting casualty was the jar of peanut butter that we now have to keep in the refrigerator.  Even though the lid was tightly shut the ants got in and they loved it
While the ants were roaming around and getting into everything, I was asking the locals for advice on getting rid of the pesky creatures.  After getting several opinions I went out and bought bug spray to try to kill the ants.  It has worked well, but we still see one or two ants on a regular basis.  I believe we have come to a silent truce for now, but I still have not given up my dream of having an ant free house.

1 comment:

  1. Your 'ant war' story is so cool. Totally reminded me of my battles with the ants on my mission in Palmdale, CA (which is a big ant hill).

    Chewing through ziploc... wow. That sure is unusual. do you have pictures - or wikipedia links to this exotic species of ants?

    ReplyDelete