Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Reach out and touch someone


It seems that since I am pregnant, I am now public property and it is socially acceptable to be touched at anytime by anyone.  Any reaction other than being overjoyed at this new development has been met with surprise.  After all, don't I know that my pregnancy is something that random strangers should be able to enjoy too?!  (I hope you note the sarcasm with which I write here)


I know that some women don't mind when people touch their bellies, but I didn't like it before I was pregnant and I don't like it now.  It's different with people I know who actually ask first, but getting unexpectedly assaulted is unpleasant and uncomfortable to me.


Perhaps my feelings about this have been tainted by the first "belly groper" that I encountered.  It was just after church, and rather than try to touch my baby bump the conventional way (from the front), they ambushed me from behind.  And missed.
--
I wonder if this is how lucky buddha statues feel?

7 comments:

  1. Wait people touched your belly before you were pregnant? That is even more weird. Luckily no one even asked to touch mine-at least not strangers. I had read in books/online about random people touching your belly but I'm glad that never happened to me. Let's just hope that now that your belly is bigger that people won't miss again and hey-maybe that wasn't a mistake? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surprised you didn't deck them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Yeah, it can be weird with strangers, but I never minded when it was people I knew. Definitely more awkward from the back whether you know them or not. . . that's for Trip only!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this whole post made me laugh...the wording and story telling, as well as the buddah picture is sooo fitting. Even after hearing all this from you in person, I still loved reading it. The comments posted before me made me laugh as well.

    Whew, now that I have recovered from hysterical laughter, I must say how horrified I would have been if someone ever did any of that to me. All I can say is you look great! I guess people want some of that "greatness".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Jennifer Pearce, Brandon's wife. Thank you for all your help answering our questions about Malaysia. We really appreciate it. It has been fun taking a look at your blog and all the fun things and places. Your dog is adorable. :) This pregnancy post really resonated with me. I just gave birth to our third little girl on the 25th of May. I always told people I felt like a little buddha while I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the comment. Kim and I were just talking about how it's a shame that you'd be coming out here right after we are leaving. We've checked out your family's blogs and think we'd all have a great time together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments! You guys always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete